International opportunity for young NE actors
Encountering the Other is an opportunity for six 18- to 25-year-olds from the NE to devise and take part in performances in both Darlington and Johannesburg.
Darlington-based new writing company ODDMANOUT is joining forces with Johannesburg’s Market Theatre to create an international collaboration, Encountering the Other, to examine what it is to be a woman in the 2010s which will culminate with performances of a piece which has been collectively created on both sides of the world.
Through young people coming together to talk, celebrate and create their future, this global conversation endeavours to explore what young people really feel and, although the theme may focus on women, the conversation will be much broader, transcending divides of culture, gender and sexuality, with men being equally welcome to participate.
Participants must be between 18 and 25 years old and commit to:
- Rehearsals in Darlington on 2, 3, 9, 10, 17, 24, 30 September and 1 October
- 2 final evening rehearsals in the week beginning 2 October (Darlington)
- Rehearsals and performances in Johannesburg 7 to 16 October
- Re-rehearsal and performance 18 to 29 November (Darlington)
All travel and accommodation expenses and per diem payments will be payable while in South Africa. There is also a small access bursary available to participants who can demonstrate a genuine need for financial assistance to participate in the project.
To apply, send a covering letter outlining:
- Previous experience
- Why would you like to be involved? (250 words)
- What is the best piece of live theatre you have ever seen, and why? (500 words)
- What does womanhood mean to you in 2017? (1000 words)
This letter should be e-mailed to Katy Weir at email@example.com by 12 July.