Formby tours again
23 March 2014
Reporter: Sandra Giorgetti
The new tour of Formby, a one–man show celebrating the life of one of Britain’s greatest performers, George Formby, kicked off this week.
Ewan Wardrop plays the ukulele in his portrayal of Formby in this show which features his classic songs including "Blackpool Rock", "Leaning On a Lamp-Post", "When I’m Cleaning Windows", "TT Races" and "Mr Wu".
Wardrop has worked as an actor, musical comedian and dancer. His acting credits include Enron in London's West End, and The Deep Blue Sea and Nijinsky at the Chichester Festival Theatre although he has also worked with Complicite, the Royal Shakespeare Company and comedy acapella group Barbershopera.
Formby premièred at the 2012 Edinburgh Fringe; it is written by Ewan Wardrop and is co-devised and directed by Ed Hughes.
The tour now takes in:
- Exmouth Pavilion – 27 March
- Rhodes Arts Centre - 3 April
- Island Arts Centre – 5 April
- Downs Arts Centre – 6 April
- Pavilion Theatre, Rhyl – 9 April
- Malvern Forum – 10 April
- Wycombe Swan Theatre –16 April
- St George's Theatre, Great Yarmouth – 17 April
- Norwich Playhouse – 18 April
- Trinity Theatre, Tunbridge Wells – 24 April
- Eden Court, Inverness - 28 April
- Brunton Theatre - 30 April
- Hull Truck Theatre - 2 May and 3 May
- Playhouse, Whitley Bay - 4 May
- Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds – 7 and 8 May
- Fairfield Halls, Croydon - 10 May
- Floral Pavilion, Wirral - 11 May
- Jersey Arts Centre - 15 May
- Cornerstone Theatre, Didcot - 17 May
- Mercury Theatre, Colchester - 18 May
- Lancaster Grand - 20 May
- Palace Theatre, Newark - 21 May
- Taliesin Arts Centre, Swansea - 22 May
- The Riverfront, Newport - 23 May
For further information and booking visit the Formby web site.