Generally it was “business as usual” for most of the region’s theatres and theatre companies in 2018 but there were some interesting, even exciting news stories. Here are the headlines:
- A change at the top at Live Theatre: Max Roberts steps down after 33 years as Artistic Director and is replaced by Joe Douglas.
- A major North East theatre headline for 2018 has to be the death of the print journal theatre editor. None of the regional dailies now have an arts / entertainment / culture editor.
- Work, we are informed, is to start on the new auditorium for the Fire Station, next to Sunderland Empire.
- A new theatre company emerged in Durham during the year and made a stunning debut with some tough programming choices.
- A NE theatre leaves its home of 30 years and moves to the coast.
- Two NE companies, one theatre and one dance, celebrated significant birthdays during the year.
- A NE dance company has a change of leadership.
- £60m is announced for Sunderland Culture programme, Twenty Four Seven, which will run through to 2024.