Big changes at Alphabetti
22 January 2021
Reporter: Peter Lathan
Newcastle’s Alphabetti Theatre is rethinking its approach to programming and its relationship with artists.
“The last year has given Alphabetti Theatre chance to reformat its entire programming model, for the benefit of all parties,” said Artistic Director Ali Pritchard. “We are moving away from an artistic revolving door and towards stronger and more lasting relationships with every visiting artist and company.
“Each 4-week block will focus on one programmed production (with 1 week dark for resetting). At least 2 performances a week will be captioned and / or audio described, with Saturday matinées being relaxed performances. All productions will be a co-production with Alphabetti and programmed a minimum of eight months in advance. All performances that take place at Alphabetti will be 'pay what you feel', to further our goal of making great art accessible to everyone, regardless of financial situation.
“And we are changing the way we work with artists.
“Our first round of submissions is for September 2021–September 2022 performances. Artists are invited to get in touch now to pitch your productions with us!
“To be considered for our one-off event programming, please e-mail [email protected] with production / event information by the deadline: 11 February 2021 at 12PM.”
The productions must rehearse and première at Alphabetti and, in return, the incoming company will receive the following benefits:
- A run of 18 performances.
- A guarantee of £2,700 or 70/30 box office split, whichever is greater.
- As it is a co-production, it means Alphabetti can include the production in its Theatre Tax Relief claim. Alphabetti will advance each company money they can receive due to it being a co-production to invest into the production. All productions must be processed via the Alphabetti Theatre Tax Relief claim (there will be a £250 accountancy fee). The advance will be approximately £3k (minus the accountancy fee) for £20k budgeted production. Each advance will vary from production to production.
- Introduction to touring partners outside the region.
- Free rehearsal space.
- Input and funding application support.
- Artistic support.
- Community engagement support.
- Technical support.
- Audience development and marketing support.
- Alphabetti will spend approximately £1,250 on marketing each month—the majority will go towards supporting the main show that month.