Cash for Northern Edfringe participants
11 June 2019
Reporter: Peter Lathan
Venues North, a network of more than 40 venues based in the North of England who share a commitment to supporting artists making new work, will provide one company performing at the festival with a £3,500 prize and a tailored package of support in kind provided by member venues.
By ‘new work’ the group means new theatre and performance, usually devised work, new writing, or work that explores the boundaries of theatrical form.
To be eligible for the awards, the core artists must:
- be living and making work in the North of England, as defined by Arts Council England area boundaries (North East, North West, Yorkshire and Humberside)
- have a production running at Edinburgh Fringe 2019 between 2 and 16 August for a minimum of 10 performances.
Companies that are part of Arts Council England’s National Portfolio are not eligible to enter.
Venues North will select one award recipient, who will receive:
- £3,500 cash.
- A tailored package of support in kind, which can include support to tour the show in the North of England, based around the needs of the artist.
- Fundraising advice, guidance and advocacy from the Venues North network.
The Venues North judges are looking for work that:
- Meets the definition of ‘new work’ detailed above.
- Is ambitious, exciting and relevant to audiences.
- Has a distinctive voice that reflects the people that made the work.
- Responds to the world around us, and provides opportunities for new thoughts and conversations.
- Has carefully considered the experience it offers audiences.
- Makes a contribution to the work already available to programmers and audiences.
A large group of Venues North members will review the entries and draw up a shortlist, which will be published on Friday 12 July. A smaller panel, made up of Venues North members, will then see the shortlisted shows at the Festival between 2 and 16 August, before convening at a selection meeting to select the recipient. The award will be announced on Saturday 17 August.