Northern Stage presents NORTH Festival
18 April 2019
Reporter: Peter Lathan
Northern Stage’s newly announced NORTH Festival, which runs from 6 to 8 June 2019, brings together local and national companies to help early-career and more established artists, theatre-makers and producers to make new connections, brush up on skills and get practical advice on developing a career in the arts.
“NORTH Festival is all about opening doors and creating opportunities,” said Mark Calvert, Northern Stage’s Creative Associate and NORTH Festival Curator. “The sessions all have a focus on practical advice to help your career in the arts, hosted by some truly brilliant and generous companies from the North East and across the rest of UK.
“But beyond the learning and skills developed during the sessions, the festival is just as much about making new connections, meeting people, discovering new opportunities and inspiring your next project. I can’t wait for it to get started!”
To make it as affordable as possible, all sessions are Pay What You Decide. Places must be booked, either online or by calling the box office, and then at the end of the session participants will have the opportunity to make a donation of what they decide they want to—or can afford to—pay. There is no obligation to pay anything.
The sessions are:
Wed 5 Jun
- The Nuts and Bolts of Starting a Performing Arts Company (ITC)
- Funding Opportunities available from Arts Council England
- 1 to 1 sessions with Arts Council Theatre Relationship Manager Gez Casey
- Developing Your Creative Practice (Arts Council England)
- The Role of the Agent and Starting Work as an Actor (Janet Plater Management)
- What Are We Going to Do About Theatre and the Performing Arts in the North East? (Unfolding Theatre and friends)
Thu 6 Jun
- Artist Development Opportunities (National Theatre)
- Writing and Devising: a Story Based Approach (National Theatre Studio)
- Introduction to the BFI Network
- An Insight into the Casting Process (Jenkins McShane Casting)
- Producing a Festival (Panel Discussion)
- Northern Stage Open Auditions
Fri 7 Jun
- Getting It Right: Avoiding the Pitfalls of Working in Entertainment (Equity)
- Casting Workshop (Royal Shakespeare Company)
- Film and Commercial TV casting workshop (Sam Claypole Casting)
Sat 8 Jun
- Introduction to Acting for Motion Capture (The MoCap Vaults). This all-day session costs £20. Normally a session like this would cost upwards of £100.
For more information, including full programme details, visit the Northern Stage web site.