Greenwich Dance tours without touring
30 January 2021
Reporter: Vera Liber
For ArtsUnboxed, Greenwich Dance has commissioned six artists to develop new dance work that can be sold to venues, festivals and dance organisations across the country and delivered using local artists, with a royalty going to the original creators.
Melanie Precious, Chief Executive Officer of Greenwich Dance, said, "as we reimagined our performance programme last year, we could see patterns emerging in the work we created as well as that of other organisations. We could hear the heart-breaking voices of artists falling through the gap in Government support and knew we had to act.
"At its most basic, ArtsUnboxed is a way for creatives to develop a recipe for new dance work that can be replicated by artists in local settings around the country. This ground-breaking initiative is the latest example of how we have continued to provide opportunities for artists to create and audiences to engage with dance work in a safe environment, while also supporting employment in the sector and offering hope for the future."
From more than 70 applications, the six artists chosen are:
- Joss Arnott of Joss Arnott Dance with producer Phil Hargreaves
- Sarah Blanc working with Annie Hanauer and Vicky Malin as Annie Vicky Sarah with producer Emma Abbey
- John Darvell of NOCTURN with producer Sarah Shead of Spin Arts
- Temujin Gill of Grounded Movement with producer Kate Scanlan of Scanners Inc
- Pervez of Live 2 Break, with producer Kate Scanlan of Scanners Inc
- Anna Williams & Tom Roden of Anatomical with producer Claire Summerfield of Tandem Works
The artist and producer pairs are supported by freelance specialists including Project Manager Rajpal Pardesi, dramaturg Lou Cope and Access and Inclusion Consultant Alex Covell.
ArtsUnboxed will launch in spring 2021.