Hamilton takes Visionary Honours
10 February 2019
Reporter: Sandra Giorgetti
The first social impact entertainment and media awards, the Visionary Honours, saw musical Hamilton beat Misty, The Inheritance, The Writer, Ear For Eye and Nine Night to take home the Play / Musical of the Year.
These new awards recognise positive social impact from culture, media and entertainment.
Founded by a not for profit, Visionary Arts Organisation, the awards complement the company's work supporting producers, directors, writers, bloggers, designers, artists and performers and offering grants for creative projects that tackle social issues such as diversity, youth crime, drugs and mental health.
The inaugural Visionary Honours winners are:
- Film of the Year - Black Panther
- Documentary of the Year - Suicide – The Ripple Effect
- Song of the Year - Photographs by Professor Green
- Book of the Year - What A Time To Be Alone by Chidera Eggerue
- TV Show of the Year - Doctor Who
- Play / Musical of the Year - Hamilton
- Broadcast / Media of the Year - Ways To Change The World Podcast
- Community Person of the Year - Rachel Wang, Chocolate Films
- Most Inspiring Person of the Year - Michelle Obama
Nelson Mandela’s Grandson, Chief Mandla Mandela, collected a special award, The Visionary Legacy Honour, given to Nelson Mandela for his outstanding achievements as an activist for social change inspiring communities and culture around the world.
Winners across the nine categories were chosen by industry judges and Visionary Arts Organisation's editorial team. Work released from December 2017 to November 2018 was eligible for nomination.