MT Fest UK – two weeks of wall-to-wall musical theatre
Published: 23 December 2018
The Other Palace is to stage MT Fest UK, a two-week-long festival of new musical theatre.
Running in the middle of February, it will feature new work from artists at various stages of their careers, plus talks and concerts.
A Taster Menu series of eight new musicals presented as 45-minute, semi-staged excerpts is at the core of the festival and will include new commissions from festival producer Paul Taylor-Mills, re-worked Broadway shows and musicals that Taylor-Mills has been involved with at the London venue.
- AA - music and lyrics by Olivier Award-winning composer Richard Thomas whose credits include Jerry Springer the Opera and Anna Nicole.
- Nerds - music by Hal Goldberg, book and lyrics by Jordan Allen-Dutton and Erik Weiner, a musical dot-comedy on the rise of computer technology and the two men behind it, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.
- First Date - music and lyrics by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner and book by Austin Winsberg, this comic story of blind-date newbie and serial-dater unfolds in real time: will this first date be their last?
- Porn the Musical - music by Boris Cezek and Kris Spiteri, book and lyrics by Boris Cezek, Kris Spiteri, Malcolm Galea and Abigail Guan, with additional book by Brendan Cull. An anarchic musical about young Stefan who heads to America for a fresh start and finds new friends in an industry that might just take some getting used to.
- But I’m a Cheerleader – music by Andrew Abrams, book and lyrics by Bill Augustin, is a quirky, cheeky coming-of-age comedy about sexual awakening and staying true to yourself. The story revolves around all-American high school cheerleader Megan whose family, fearing she is lesbian, send her to the 'True Directions' rehabilitation camp.
- Bloody Bloody Jessica Fletcher - music and lyrics by Keith Varney, with additional music and lyrics by Josh Lamon, book by Kevin Zak, Josh Lamon and Phillip Taratula. This musical parody has a geriatric novelist solve another gruesome murder in Cabot Cove. Who needs the police!
- The Astonishing Return of… The Protagonists - music by Michael Shaieb, book and lyrics by Kevin Del Aguila. When an old nemesis re-emerges with a sinister plan, can the former super-friends save the world again now that they find themselves battling the forces of thinning hair and menopause.
- Killer Queen – music and lyrics by Tasha Taylor Johnson, Jack McManus and Jonny Wright, book by Jonny Wright. Rap and R 'n' B in 18th century France for this story of Marie Antoinette and a missing diamond necklace.
Also part of the festival, Musical Theatre Network and Mercury Musical Developments are to present writers discovered at the BEAM2018 showcase.
MT Fest UK takes place at The Other Palace, London from 11 to 23 February. Age recommendation 14+ / 16+.