One Dance UK Awards winners announced
12 November 2019
Reporter: Vera Liber
The second annual One Dance UK Awards ceremony in Manchester on 9 November 2019 saluted the contributions of people working in dance across the UK.
The ceremony took place in the the Imperial War Museum North and was hosted by MC, dancer and director Jonzi D. The awards went to a wide range of individuals, organisations and companies including the Physical Support Team at London Contemporary Dance School, Magpie Dance, Scottish Ballet and even to Tesco for its fundraising campaign DanceBeats.
Dance Personality of the Year recipient Andrew Self, selected by public vote, went viral earlier this year following his appearance on BBC’s Greatest Dancer. The prestigious Jane Attenborough Award for Lifetime Achievement in Dance was awarded to Dr Roger Wolman for his work in the field of dance health, where he has helped hundreds of dancers back to health following injury.
Andrew Hurst, Chief Executive of One Dance UK, said, “we are delighted to recognise the hard work and talent of people making a difference to the dance sector. These awards acknowledge some of the many areas of work that professionals and practitioners are involved in. We are proud to shine a light on this incredible work.”
- The Greater Manchester Award - Company Chameleon
- Outstanding Primary Dance Teaching Award - Jacqui Burrows
- Outstanding Secondary Dance Teaching Award - Gillian Lenton
- Rising Star Award (Dance Teaching) - Kieran Warner
- Dance Advocacy Award - Magpie Dance
- Inspirational Community Dance Practitioner Award - Jennie Hale
- Inspirational Work in Education Award - ACE Dance and Music
- Inspirational Lecturer at College, University or Conservatoire Award – Khyle Eccles (Trinity Laban)
- Most Supportive Senior Leader or Governor Award - Billy Downie, The Streetly Academy
- Dance Healthcare Practitioner Award - Jody Morgan
- Dance Healthcare Team Award - Physical Support Team at London Contemporary Dance School
- Research in Dance – Impact Award - Professor Emma Redding
- Dance Science Award – Professor Angela Pickard
- Outstanding Dance Programming Award - Eckhard Thiemann (The Lowry)
- Innovation in Dance Award - North East Dance Cooperative
- Dance Writing Award - Sanjoy Roy
- Dance on Screen, Impact Award - Scottish Ballet
- Best Use of Dance by a Brand – Tesco: DanceBeats
- People’s Choice Award - Javier Torres
- Dance Personality of the Year Award (sponsored by The Place) - Andrew Self
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Dance of the African Diaspora (Supported By Derrick Anderson) - Funmi Adewole
- Lifetime Achievement Award in South Asian Dance (Sponsored by Akademi South Asian Dance) - Chitraleka Bolar
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Dance Education & Participation - Sujata Banerjee
- The Jane Attenborough Award - Roger Wolman
This year's awards were supported by: Harlequin Dance Floors, Akādemi, The Place, Marquee TV, Trinity Laban, Arts Council England, Sun Vit, IWM North and ISTD.
For further information see One Dance UK website.