War Correspondents song cycle on national tour
23 March 2014
Reporter: Sandra Giorgetti
War Correspondents, a collaboration between composer Helen Chadwick and choreographer and Frantic Assembly co-founder Steven Hoggett, is go on a national tour from next month.
Based on true experiences of war journalists, the song-cycle weaves together sound extracts of interviews and wartime poetry with original choreography and musical composition.
War Correspondents has been co-commissioned by Greenwich & Docklands International Festival, Sage Gateshead and New Writing North for Durham Book Festival; it is the second song theatre performance created by Chadwick and Hoggett.
The show is also directed by Helen Chadwick and Steven Hoggett, and the cast comprises Helen Chadwick, James Lailey, Michael Mears, Oliver Senton and Rebecca Thorny.
The world première will take place at Birmingham Rep (24 to 26 April) after which the show tours until the end of October, taking in the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival in June.
War Correspondents has a running time of 75 mins and is suitable for ages 12 plus.
It will visit:
- 24 – 26 April, The Door at The REP, Birmingham
- 30 April, The Theatre, Chipping Norton
- 8 - 9 May, The Old Town Hall, Hemel Hempstead
- 14 May, Harrogate Theatre, Harrogate
- 19 May, The Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester
- 20 – 21 May, Malvern Theatres, Malvern
- 22 May, The North Wall, Oxford
- 24 May, Revelations St Mary’s, Ashford
- 29 - 30 May, Clwyd Theatr Cymru, Mold
- 6 June, Galeri, Caernarfon
- 11 June, Norwich Arts Centre, Norwich
- 13 – 14 June, Unity Theatre, Liverpool
- 20 - 22 June, Greenwich + Docklands International Festival
- 10 – 11 October, Stratford Circus
- 14 October, Sage Gateshead
- 15 October, Durham Cathedral
- 16 – 17 October, Arena Theatre, Wolverhampton
- 21 October, Aberystwyth Arts Centre
- 22 October, The Stables, Milton Keynes
- 23 – 25 October, Salisbury Playhouse