Autumn & Christmas cancellations at Sadler's Wells
14 August 2020
Reporter: Vera Liber
The current period of closure across Sadler's Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre has been extended until January 2021.
Shows scheduled from 11 November 2020 to 24 January 2021 will not go ahead:
- English National Ballet, Akram Khan’s Creature at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, 11–15 November 2020
- Eva Recacha, Aftermath at Lilian Baylis Studio, 12–13 November 2020
- Alexander Whitley Dance Company, Overflow at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, 18–19 November 2020
- Birmingham Repertory Theatre, The Snowman at Peacock Theatre, 21 November 2020–3 January 2021
- BalletBoyz, Deluxe at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, 26–28 November 2020
- Matthew Bourne’s Nutcracker! at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, 8 December 2020—24 January 2021
The New Adventures production of Matthew Bourne’s Nutcracker! and The Snowman are rescheduled for next year, and English National Ballet will present Akram Khan's Creature at Sadler’s Wells Theatre in September 2021.
Artistic Director & CEO of Sadler’s Wells Alistair Spalding said, "we have worked very closely with all of the artists and companies in our programme to avoid this outcome and go ahead as planned, however continuing uncertainty surrounding coronavirus restrictions has forced us to make this decision, with artist, audience and colleague safety at its core.
"I share the feeling of deep disappointment felt by our community of innovative artists, dedicated colleagues, and loyal audiences. The impact of the global pandemic has been devastating for the arts—for organisations like ours, as well as the many companies, freelancers and casual staff whose talent and skill is central to putting world class dance on stage and welcoming audiences to share that experience.
"We can't wait to welcome you all back to Sadler’s Wells’ theatres, and are working hard to do so as soon as we’re sure that we can deliver quality performances with the safety and health of all as our top priority."