Total Theatre Awards winners 2015
30 August 2015
Reporter: Sandra Giorgetti
Seven awards across five categories have been presented in this year's Total Theatre Awards, which saw dance included for the first time. Circus was recognised in a special category for the second time.
The Awards, established in 1997, focus on artists and companies at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe producing innovative work in a wide number of live performance disciplines.
Assessors saw 522 shows from which a shortlist of 31 was drawn up and seen by a panel of 20 judges who have given seven awards.
Total Theatre Awards Producers Jo Crowley and Becki Haines said, “this year’s awards celebrate some exceptional artist-led and independent work.
"The awarded artists have created work that demonstrates the power of theatre and live performance to communicate, entertain and inspire audiences, cutting across boundaries of background, nationality and language, much of which has been made in challenging circumstances, with limited resource and could easily slip through the gaps, and we are therefore delighted that Total Theatre is recognising, championing and celebrating this work.”
The winners are:
- Shows by an Emerging Company/Artist
- The Beanfield – Breach at theSpace on the Mile
- Physical / Visual Theatre
- Oog – Al Seed presented in association with Feral Arts at Dance Base
- Innovation, Experimentation and Playing with Form
- Can I Start Again Please – Sue MacLaine and Nadia Nadarajah at Summerhall
- Portraits In Motion – zolker Gerling in association with Aurora Nova at Summerhall
- Total Theatre and The Place Award for Dance
- Vertical Influences – Le Patin Libre at Assembly
- Total Theatre and Jacksons Lane Award for Circus
- B-Orders – Palestinian Circus in association with Aurora Nova at Underbelly
- Smoke and Mirrors – theRICOCHETproject at Assembly
- The Significant Contribution Award went to Forced Entertainment